Sunday, January 18, 2009

Yogurt, Flax, and Berries

Yogurt, flax meal, and berries, one of my favorite snacks
This is one of the simplest things to make, but it's one of my favorite post-workout snacks/desserts. I eat this quite often and am still not tired of it, so I figured I should share.

Yogurt, Flax, and Berries

1/2 - 1 cup plain yogurt
2 Tbsp flax meal
handful of berries or grapes, fresh or frozen

Mix flax with yogurt. Add fruit.

How to you make yogurt even tastier? Add flax and fruit. I love flax seeds and meal, and I eat a ton of it. It's loaded with Omega-3s, but I mainly care about the fact that it has a delicious nutty flavor. I've used several types of fruit in this - mostly blueberries and grapes - and all are good, but different. My favorite is probably frozen grapes, although frozen blueberries (especially my quickly depleting stash from the summer farmers' market) are great too. This week blackberries were on sale (I still can't figure that one out...), so I decided to have a nice treat.

I had to teach myself to like plain yogurt, but it became easier once I discovered how much better organic yogurt tastes than regular. I typically buy either Stonyfield Farm or Brown Cow, and both are delicious. I'm still searching for a local yogurt source. I've been buying all of my milk and butter from Calder Dairy in Carleton, MI (and it's amazing!), but they don't make yogurt. Hopefully I'll be able to find something soon.

No comments: