Sunday, January 25, 2009

Cherimoya adventures

Cherimoya fruit
The other day I was reading about cherimoyas at Food Blogga. It's an ancient Incan food, and apparently Mark Twain described it as "the most delicious fruit known to man". When I saw one at Meijer yesterday, I had to try one out. The one I bought was already ripe (it was slightly soft and brownish). To eat it, you cut it open and scoop out the flesh, avoiding the big seeds.


cherimoya in half

They have a distinctive tropical taste. I tasted banana, pineapple, and coconut, and maybe some mango. It's not overwhelmingly flavorful, and only subtly sweet. It was just enough to make me picture Hawaii. I wouldn't describe it as the most delicious fruit (especially at $4.99/lb), but that might be because it was shipped across the country to get to me. I'm glad I tried it out, though, and I'm always up for a fruit adventure!

No comments: