Thursday, January 15, 2009

Banana and chocolate chip cookies

**This is not a gluten-free recipe and was posted before I eliminated gluten from my diet.**

Banana and chocolate chip cookies, adapted from Karen Barkie's Sweet and Sugarfree
(I know this is a horrible picture. I didn't think about taking one while they were cooling on the rack, so this is the best I could do after the fact. Believe me, they're a lot better than they look here.)

I've been wanting to make cookies for a while, so this week I made it happen. Here's another recipe from Karen Barkie's "Sweet and Sugarfree."

Banana and Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/4 cup mashed banana
1/4 cup canola oil
1 large egg
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup grain-sweetened chocolate chips

Beat banana and oil together until creamy. Beat in egg. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Drop by teaspoons onto baking sheets and bake at 350 for 10 minutes, or until they start to brown around the edges. Cool on wire racks. Yields about 3 dozen small cookies.

These are good, and definitely sweet enough (at least for me). It has a surprising amount of banana flavor for only having 1/4 cup. They have a huge amount of chocolate, so much that it couldn't all stick to the rest of the dough and tended to fall out onto the baking sheet. I would use far less next time just to avoid that. The original recipe calls for carob chips (which I would definitely prefer, but unfortunately didn't have), so I'll have to try it again some time.

Ok, I finally caught up from the week, so that's the last post for tonight. Now that I've mastered the art of halving or thirding recipes, I've been able to try out more recipes, so look forward to more frequent posts!

No comments: