Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Spicy spinach and tomato saute

Spicy spinach and tomato saute, my favorite way to eat spinach
I concocted this dish while I was at home. We had a lot of spinach that needed to be eaten, but I was tired of salads, so I decided to saute up a bunch of things. It's a great option when you're in need of a quick veggie dish.

Spicy spinach and tomato saute

1 tsp olive oil
1 small onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
8 oz spinach
1 tsp Sriracha sauce or other hot sauce (more or less depending on your desired spice level)
1/2 Tbsp sesame seeds

Saute onions in olive oil until they're tender. While you're cooking veggies, toast sesame seeds in dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant (about 5 min) and set aside. Add garlic and tomatoes to onions and let cook for a minute or so. Add spinach (in batches, if necessary), cover, and cook until wilted. Stir in Sriracha sauce. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serves 3.

I added the sesame seeds this time, and although the flavor doesn't come through because of the spice, they add a different texture. I could eat spinach every day (and some weeks I do), and this is a nice change from salads. This is a good recipe to play with... perhaps next time I'll use crushed red pepper instead of Sriracha. You really can't mess it up, and that's the kind of recipe I like.

No comments: