Thursday, January 22, 2009

Scented Quinoa Pilaf

scented quinoa pilaf with raisins, pine nuts, and cilantro, adapted from Wholefood by Jude Blereau
I like quinoa and haven't had it in a while. In fact, I don't think I've had any since I made several gallons of it while I was in Florida (ok, I'm exaggerating a little bit, but not much). So, tonight was the night to make more.

Scented Quinoa Pilaf (adapted from Wholefood by Jude Blereau)

1 tsp olive oil
2 green onions, chopped
1/4 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp coriander
1/8 tsp ginger
1/2 cup quinoa
1 cup water
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
2 Tbsp cilantro, finely chopped

Heat oil over medium heat in saucepan. Add onions and spices and cook for 5 min. Rinse quinoa well and let drain. Add quinoa to pan, and then add water. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let cook for 15-20 min, until all water is absorbed. Remove from heat, place dish towel under lid, and let sit for 5 min. Stir in raisins, pine nuts, and cilantro. Serves 3.

This was ok. It had potential, but was too bland. The spices need to be doubled, and the quinoa definitely needs to be cooked in some sort of broth. In some bites the cinnamon flavor came through, and those bites were really good. I'm glad I accidentally added more raisins than the recipe called for because that salvaged it.

This recipe might have worked with other grains that have more of a flavor on their own (like bulgur, barley, or even a flavorful rice), but not so much with quinoa. Oh well.

No comments: