Saturday, January 17, 2009

Winter Greens with Split Peas

Indian winter greens with split peas, adapted from the Complete Book of Indian Cooking by Suneeta Vaswani
I needed a side for my Tandoori chicken, and I figured that it couldn't hurt to get more greens and peas in me because I didn't have any on new years day (don't worry, I got some the next day). This year I need as much luck as I can get.

Winter Greens with Split Peas (also adapted from "Complete Book of Indian Cooking" by Suneeta Vaswani)

1 cup split green or yellow peas
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 bunch turnip greens, stems removed, rinsed, and chopped
1 bunch collard greens, stems removed, rinsed, and chopped
6 to 7 cups spinach, rinsed and chopped
1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp minced ginger
1 minced serrano chile
2 Tbsp mustard seeds
1 Tbsp cumin seeds
juice of 1/2 lime

Sort and rinse peas. Soak peas in 2 1/2 cups water in saucepan for 15 min. Bring peas to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, stir in turmeric, and allow to simmer until peas are soft and water is absorbed (about 25 min). Set peas aside.

In a large pot, combine spinach, turnip greens, collard greens, and 2 Tbsp water. Cover and cook over medium heat until greens wilt and water is absorbed (5-10 min). Set aside.

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add ginger and chiles and saute for 1 min. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and saute, stirring continuously, for 1 min (be careful - the mustard seeds will pop all over the kitchen if you let it go longer). Add the peas and greens and mix well. Add lime juice to taste. Serves 5.

This was good, and a nice accompaniment to the chicken. I wouldn't put it on my list of favorite dishes, but it was very decent. Again, I don't think anything with turmeric in it can be bad. Now back to the reality of Michigan...

No comments: