Thursday, January 15, 2009

Saffron Roasted Cauliflower

Saffron roasted cauliflower, adapted from Chocolate and Zucchini
I had a head of cauliflower and was planning to save it for an Indian-themed meal, but was craving it tonight. I found some semi-affordable saffron at Oriental Mart, so it seemed like a perfect time to try this out.

Saffron Roasted Cauliflower (adapted from Chocolate & Zucchini)

1 Tbsp olive oil
pinch of saffron threads
1 head cauliflower
2 tsp red wine vinegar
2 tsp garam masala
freshly ground pepper

Combine oil and saffron in small bowl. Sit bowl on stove as oven heats to 400 degrees (to infuse some of the saffron flavor into the oil). Cut the cauliflower into small florets and spread out in baking dish. Sprinkle cauliflower with vinegar and garam masala. Then drizzle oil on top and toss until evenly coated. Roast in the oven until tender (about 30 min), stirring a few times. Grind pepper on top and serve. Serves 3.

This was a very tasty (and different) way to do cauliflower. The recipe called for Ras el hanout or curry powder, but I decided to use garam masala because I love it so much. Next time I might use garam masala and curry powder (and maybe even turmeric!) to give it a little more flavor. I was probably too stingy with my pinch of saffron, but I'm trying to make it last.

Roasting veggies is one of the techniques that I've used over and over recently because it's so easy never fails. Here's another great example.

No comments: