Thursday, January 15, 2009

Mexican Black Bean and Venison Sausage Chili


Mexican black bean and venison sausage chili, adapted from Cooking Light
It's been cold here. Brutally cold. We're talking wind chills in the negative teens and warnings about how exposed body parts will freeze. What could be better for that than chili? Plus, it gave me a chance to try out some of the hot venison sausage that I brought back from Florida.

Mexican Black Bean and Venison Sausage Chili (adapted from Cooking Light)

1 Tbsp olive oil
3/4 lb hot venison sausage
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 Tbsp cumin
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp dried oregano
2 (15-oz) cans black beans
1 1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
2 Tbsp lime juice

Heat oil over medium-high heat; add sausage and cook until it's browned and cooked through. Add onion, cumin, garlic, and oregano and cook until onion is tender. Puree half a can of black beans and 1/2 cup broth in food processor. Add this mixture, the rest of the beans and broth, and tomatoes (including liquid) to the sausage mixture. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 45 min. Add lime juice before serving. Serve plain or over brown rice. Serves 3-4 if plain or 5-6 if served with rice.

This is amazing. Definitely the best chili I've ever made. The heat of the sausage gave it great flavor without being too much. And I got to use my frozen beans! I served it over Massa Organics brown rice that I got for my birthday, and that made it even better. I made it for dinner tonight, but I can't wait to have more tomorrow. The original recipe called for 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro (added with the lime juice), and I would have included that if I had some. Otherwise, I'm not sure that I would change much.

No comments: