Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Roasted root veggies

roasted carrots, parsnips, and turnips
Nothing makes me think of winter more than root veggies. And nothing is better than roasting them. It's simple, delicious, and I never get tired of it.

Roasted root veggies

4 large carrots
2 turnips
2 parsnips
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp each of dried thyme, oregano, and rosemary (or whatever you feel like using)

Peel veggies and chop into small, equal-sized pieces. If center of parsnips are really hard and woody, you might want to cut that out. Toss veggies with olive oil and herbs. Roast at 400 for about 40 min, tossing occasionally, until tender and starting to caramelize. Serves 3-4.

It's amazing how sweet these veggies can become. I eat a lot of carrots, but it's always nice to throw some rarely-used veggies in with them (I forgot how much I love parsnips!). The only problem with these is that I tend to burn my hands and tongue because I can't wait for them to cool off before shoveling them into my mouth.

No comments: