Friday, January 30, 2009

Thai green curry prawns

Thai green curry prawns, adapted from Simple Thai Cookery by Ken Hom
I was in the mood for some Thai food and happened to have shrimp in the freezer. This was the result:

Thai green curry prawns (adapted from "Simple Thai Cookery" by Ken Hom)

2 tsp peanut oil
1 Tbsp Thai green curry paste
1/2 Tbsp lime zest
1/2 Tbsp fish sauce
1/2 Tbsp soy sauce (use wheat-free tamari for gluten-free)
1 tsp raw sugar
1 cup light coconut milk
1/2 lb raw shrimp, shelled and de-veined

Heat oil over medium-high heat in saucepan. Add curry paste to pan and cook for 2 min. Add lime zest, fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar, and coconut milk. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 5 min. Add shrimp and cook for 5 min, stirring occasionally. Serves 2.

This was delicious, and I had to stop myself from eating the entire thing. I served it over brown rice with spinach on the side, and the spinach was great for soaking up the extra sauce. The original recipe called for lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves (instead of the zest), and Thai basil, but unfortunately the Asian market that I stopped at doesn't carry Thai foods, so I had to do without. I bet it would have been even better if I could have used those.

Now that I've used up the shrimp that I had, I need to find some that comes from the US. I'm trying to make more sustainable seafood choices, too, and that seems to be even harder than finding local meat and dairy. There's a shrimp place at my farmers' market, so I suppose I might have to wait until the summer to get my fix again...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The lemongrass really will make it quite different. The practical way to get it is in the little mush tubes at the grocery store. I wonder if Kafir limes make such a difference too, but have never found any of those.

Katie said...

That's good to know - I'll have to look for the tubes. I think the other Asian market that I usually go to has it fresh, but I was too lazy to go there too.