Sunday, January 25, 2009

Grilled Romaine Hearts

grilled romaine hearts, adapted from FatFree Vegan Kitchen
I saw a recipe for grilled romaine, and immediately jumped at the chance to use my grill pan again.

Grilled Romaine Hearts (from FatFree Vegan Kitchen)

1 romaine heart, cut in half
balsamic vinegar
freshly ground pepper
sunflower seeds

Grill romaine halves over medium heat for 2-3 min per side, until browned and wilted. Sprinkle with vinegar, pepper, and sunflower seeds. Serves 1-2.

This couldn't be easier. In fact, it probably takes the same amount of time that it would take to cut up the lettuce and make a salad. It's good, light, and easy. What more could you ask for?

I think I'll try several variations throughout the week... maybe some soy sauce next?

2 comments:

Louise said...

Hi Katie,I don't have a grill. What do you think about roasting it or broiling in the oven? If so, what temp and how long? I just found your blog and look forward to reading previous posts.

Katie said...

Louise - Hmmmm... it's definitely worth a shot. I would try roasting them at 400 degrees for 5 minutes on each side (or until they begin to brown). I would love to know how it turns out if you try it!