Saturday, July 11, 2009

CSA round up week #2

CSA share week 2 from Titus FarmsWell, it's time to wrap-up what I made with my CSA share from the last two weeks for Cooking Away My CSA. This batch included broccoli, swiss chard, collard greens, a giant head of napa cabbage, kohlrabi, and strawberries. I had fun with these, and was excited to try kohlrabi for the first time.

First, I mixed the broccoli with spaghetti carbonara to make it a little bit healthier (and even more delicious!):
recipe for spaghetti carbonara with broccoli
The collard greens went into a soup with black-eyed peas to create a dish that would be appropriate for any southern New Year's meal:
recipe for black-eyed pea and collard green soup
recipe for napa cabbe in the crock pot with apples and a vinegar and honey sauce
The remaining cabbage became a simple Chinese cabbage salad.

I roasted the kohlrabi (at 450 degrees for about 30 min), and thoroughly enjoyed this new veggie that reminded me of a combination of broccoli and parsnips (it's actually related to cabbage):
roasted kohlrabi
And finally, I made amazing strawberry coconut ice cream with what is probably the last of my CSA strawberries:
recipe for strawberry coconut ice cream
I can't wait to see what next week brings!!

No comments: