Saturday, September 26, 2009

Summer squash and jalapeno spoonbread recipe

summer squash and zucchini spoonbread
I've intended to make more spoonbread for months now, but of course I had to wait for the month when I've consumed so much corn that I'll soon sprout ears.  You can stop pretending to laugh now. Zucchini finds its way into sweet breads millions of times a day, so why not use it in savory spoonbread?  My goal this month has been to eat as much yellow squash and zucchini as I can so that I get sick of it and won't be sad when it's gone.  I'm not there yet, but I'm working on it. 

This was excellent.  It reminded me a lot of the Mexican cornbread that Mom used to make.  It has a nice amount of heat, but the corn flavor was by far the dominant component.  I can't really taste the squash, but I think it gives it a denser texture.  I love that this is really easy but provides the same great taste as cornbread.


Summer squash and jalapeno spoonbread (adapted from Choosy Beggars)
(Printable version)

1 1/4 cups milk
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp honey
1 small red onion, grated or finely chopped
2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 egg
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 Tbsp dried oregano
1 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used cheddar)
2 small yellow squash or zucchini, grated and squeezed dry

Combine milk, butter, honey, onion, jalapenos, and garlic in a small saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat.  When milk begins to foam, remove from heat and set aside.  While the milk mixture is cooling a bit, beat the egg in a large bowl and, in a separate bowl, combine the cornmeal, baking powder, oregano, cumin, and salt and pepper.

Add a tablespoon or two of the milk mixture to the egg and whisk together.  Then slowly add the rest of the milk mixture, whisking as you pour.  Then add the cornmeal mixture, continuing to whisk until everything is completely mixed together.  Stir in the cheese and squash.  Pour this into a lightly oiled baking pan (I used an 11x7" pan, but a 8x8" would work fine) and bake at 375 for about 45 min (until it's nicely browned on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean).  Serves 6.

4 comments:

Tasty Eats At Home said...

Pretty and yummy! I love spoonbread. And I love zucchini, especially in baking. Sounds like the perfect accompaniment to a nice bowl of soup.

Katie said...

The only problem is that the spoonbread tends to disappear faster than the soup!

Choosy Beggar Tina said...

Katie, how excited am I that you tried this recipe and enjoyed it? That's fabulous, and it totally makes my day. You did a great job on it too, your picture is lovely!

Thanks again for trying it out, and also for letting us know that you liked it! I'm insatiably nosy :)

Katie said...

Tina - Thanks for giving me a great recipe to start with!! I'm right there with you on the nosiness, too :)