Thursday, September 10, 2009

Butter bean and black-eyed pea succotash recipe

Before I tell you about one of my recent delicious meals, I would like to announce the winner of the fig preserves selected #8, which means that Grace will be receiving the preserves.  Congrats, Grace!  Also, thanks to everyone else who left a comment!  You guys gave me some great ideas for things to do with figs, and now I can't wait to get my hands on more.

Butter bean and black-eyed pea succotash recipe, adapted from Tasty Eats At Home
I couldn't let the summer get by without succotash, and I was reminded of this when Alta from Tasty Eats At Home posted a version several weeks ago.  Instead of making a traditional succotash with butter beans, Alta used black-eyed peas, and I thought this sounded like an interesting change.  With cooked black-eyed peas and speckled butter beans waiting in my freezer, I decided to combine the two.

This was delicious, and allowed the flavors of the fresh corn and tomatoes to shine.  Mine had quite a kick to it, so I recommend removing at least some of the jalapeno seeds unless you're a spicy food fanatic.  I think that Michigan jalapenos have been extremely hot this year (I refuse to accept the fact that I may be turning into a wimp), so maybe it wouldn't be a problem with other peppers.  But the flavors are great!  The bacon gives everything a smokey twist, and I loved using a combination of heirloom tomatoes (I used 2 green zebras and one solid yellow one that I forgot to ask about at the market).  This makes a ton, and I happily ate it everyday until it was gone... and I would definitely eat more.

Butter bean and black-eyed pea succotash (adapted from Tasty Eats At Home)
(Printable version)

2 slices of bacon, diced
1 small onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeno, minced (and seeded if you want to reduce heat)
1 1/2 cups cooked black-eyed peas
2 cups cooked butter beans
3 ears of corn, kernels cut off
3 large heirloom tomatoes, diced
salt and pepper to taste

Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until it begins to get crispy.  Add onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno, and saute until the veggies are tender (about 5 min).  Stir in peas and butter beans, and cook for another few minutes.  Then add corn kernels and let cook for a few more minutes.  Finally, stir in tomatoes and season with salt and pepper, and let sit over heat for an additional minute.  Serves 5.


Tasty Eats At Home said...

Hooray for succotash! Glad you enjoyed it. I love things with a kick, so I'm all for those jalapenos. :) I might have to make this recipe one more time, I have a lot of corn and tomatoes left over from my trip to the market last Saturday. And of course, blackeyed peas in my freezer.

The Duo Dishes said...

Butter beans=yum. Black eyed peas=double yum. A succotash must be made soon!

Katie said...

Alta - I will hopefully be making it again, too! I like spicy things too, so I'm always surprised when things may my eyes water. I think I got a lot of jalapenos in my first bite, so it made the rest seem hotter than it actually was. It didn't stop me, though!

DD - I'm with you on that!

Jessica Lee Binder said...

I just saw fresh black-eyed peas in the farmer's market yesterday, my first time seeing them fresh. I was so close to buying them but I already loaded up with so much stuff. I'm going to keep this great succotash in mind for next time.

Katie said...

Jessica - I'm jealous that you saw fresh peas!! I highly recommend making this if you come across them again.