Monday, March 9, 2009

White bean dip

White bean dip, adapted from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything
I'm addicted to raw veggies. I can easily go through 5 cups of raw veggies a day (and that's in addition to the other veggies I eat with meals). I don't think I'll get tired of the veggies any time soon, but it's always nice to mix things up a little bit. Plus, I'm trying to get a little bit more protein in my diet. So, a bean dip seemed like the perfect solution.

White bean dip (adapted from "How to Cook Everything" by Mark Bittman)

1 can great northern beans (or any white bean)
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 large garlic clove, peeled
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cardamom
1/2 tsp ground ginger
salt and pepper to taste
water, as needed (I used about 1/3 cup)

Put everything (except water) into food processor and blend. Add water a little bit at a time to make a smooth dip. Makes 2 cups.

Mark Bittman wins again. I'm in love with his new book (Food Matters), and he's onto something with this recipe. It's not your typical bean dip, but the spices work perfectly together. It would go well with chips or crackers, too, but I'm loving it with the veggies. In fact, it's calling my name from the refrigerator right now. This will definitely be something that I keep in mind next time I need to bring something for a party.

No comments: