Monday, March 23, 2009

Kookoo sabzi (Persian herb frittata)

**This is not a gluten-free recipe and was posted before I eliminated gluten from my diet. To make this gluten-free, substitute a gluten-free flour.**

Kookoo Sabzi (Persian herb frittata) for Weekend Herb Blogging
Friday happened to be Nowruz, the Persian new year. Probably the only reason that I know that is because my friend, B, happens to be Persian and a basketball addict, and would often miss watching the opening round of March Madness games because of the big new year's celebration. I don't know a whole lot about Persian food, but when I had Kookoo while I was visiting B this winter, I fell in love (even when eating it left over and cold!). So, I knew that I had to make some to celebrate the new year (even though I was a few days late).

Kookoo sabzi (Persian herb frittata) (adapted from FarsiEats)

1 tsp currants
2 eggs
1/4 tsp whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp walnuts, chopped
1/4 tsp salt
freshly ground pepper
1 Tbsp olive oil, divided
1/2 green onion, chopped
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
1/4 tsp dried coriander
1/4 tsp dried dill weed

Soak currants in cold water for 15 min, then drain. Vigorously whisk together eggs, currants, flour, walnuts, salt, pepper, and 1/2 Tbsp olive oil. Add green onion, parsley, coriander, and dill, and mix gently. Add remaining oil to small oven-safe skillet (or baking dish), swirl to coat bottom, and then add egg mixture. Cover pan with foil and bake at 300 for 20 min. Remove foil and bake for an additional 20 min, or until frittata is set and top is brown. Serves 1-2.

Wow. I don't have any Persian in me, but I managed to pull this one off. The parsley flavor definitely shines through and, while I sometimes find parsley overwhelming, it works perfectly in this dish. I think that part of the reason I like it so much is because it's cooked. Parsley that's sprinkled on as a garnish often gets stuck in my throat, and I end up choking on whatever I'm eating. But, I think that the softening that occurs when it's cooked releases the flavor and prevents the gagging that would otherwise occur. In fact, the parsley was so delicious in this dish that I'm going to submit it to Weekend Herb Blogging, an event that is hosted by Anna from Anna's Cool Finds this week.

Weekend Herb Blogging

The currants and walnuts also give this dish a very nice contrast between savory and sweet. I often make omelets or frittatas, but I never think to put sweet things in them. It's amazing how delicious it is! You know, dried fruit is quite common in Persian food, so I really need to experiment more with this cuisine. B did offer to let me move in with her if I agreed to be her full-time cook, and perhaps I should consider that more seriously :)

6 comments:

Anna Haight said...

Wonderful description, and this looks like a delicious dish! Thanks for participating in WHB

Katie said...

Thanks! This is my first time submitting something to WHB, and I'm excited to be a part of it!

Kalyn Denny said...

So interesting. I've seen this on the menu at a middle eastern restaurant here and been very curious about it.

Katie said...

It was fun to try something different (and even better that it was delicious!!). I highly recommend trying it out.

Pooja said...

Good Post :) This is one of my favourite dishes. I make it in a slightly different manner with herbs,eggs and spinach. Looks mouthwatering :)

Katie said...

Pooja, thanks for the idea! Spinach sounds like a great addition to this, so I'll try it that way next time.