Saturday, March 28, 2009

Slow-cooked cabbage with apples and cinnamon

slow-cooked cabbage with apples and cinnamon, adapted from Jack Bishop's Vegetables Every Day
See, I told you there would be another cabbage recipe this week. And this was another winner. In the past, I've avoided cooking sweet vegetable dishes, but I'm liking it more and more now. The sugar of fruit (whether that be apples, pears, raisins, or other fruit) really enhances the flavor of some veggies. This is no exception.

Slow-cooked cabbage with apples and cinnamon (adapted from "Vegetables Every Day" by Jack Bishop)

1/2 head of green cabbage
1 Tbsp butter
2 small fuji apples, chopped into small pieces (peel if you want - I didn't)
1 medium onion, sliced thinly
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 cup apple cider (I made "strong" apple juice with frozen concentrate and water)
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Shred cabbage into 1/2 - 1" strips. Melt butter in a large skillet or dutch oven over medium heat. Add apples and onions and cook until they start to brown (about 8 min). Add cinnamon stick, stir a few seconds, and then stir in cabbage. Add cider, reduce heat, cover, and cook until cabbage is tender (about 40 min). Stir in vinegar and season with salt and pepper. If there's remaining liquid, let simmer uncovered for a few minutes until it evaporates. Remove cinnamon stick. Serves 3.

Another delicious cabbage dish that I couldn't stop eating. In fact, I even ate some for breakfast the day after I made it. The cabbage absorbed a lot of the apple flavor from the apples and the juice, and it was a great combination of tastes. I wish I had more cabbage, but there should be more yummy veggie recipes on the way this week!

No comments: