Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Hominy with shredded chicken and peppers

Hominy with shredded chicken and peppers from Lorna Sass's Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way
As I was flipping through "Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way" (one of the cookbooks of the month), this recipe stood out. A few months ago I picked up a can of hominy (I'm still keeping my eye out for dried) and this seemed like a good time to use it.

Hominy with shredded chicken and peppers (adapted from "Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way" by Lorna Sass)

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
salt to taste
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 can (15 oz.) hominy (I used white)
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, roasted and shredded
a few dashes of tabasco sauce
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
juice of 2 limes

Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high. Add onions, bell peppers, and salt; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 min. Add garlic, oregano, and cumin and continue to cook until peppers soften (about 5 more min). Stir in hominy and tomatoes (with juice), bring to a boil, reduce heat slightly, and continue to cook 5 more minutes. Stir in chicken and tabasco and let cook until chicken warms back up. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro and lime juice. Serves 4.

As far as I can remember, I've only had hominy once before (made by some friends from New Mexico), but I really like it. I suppose it's not surprising given that I love every other form of corn. It gives an interesting dimension to a dish - somewhere between a grain and a bean. If I can find some dried hominy, I can definitely see myself making it often. I suppose I need to take a trip over to the Mexican grocery store...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so good. Best hominy recipe I've tried yet! Thanks for sharing!

Katie said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it!