Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Boiled carrots with North African spices

boiled carrots with north African spices from Vegetables Every Day
I love carrots every way that I've ever had them... raw, steamed, boiled, roasted, microwaved, etc. There's something about their natural sweetness that draws me back to the refrigerator for a handful several times a day. Here's an easy and different way to cook them (from one of the cookbooks of the month!).

Boiled carrots with North African spices (adapted from "Vegetables Every Day" by Jack Bishop)

6 medium carrots (about a pound), sliced into 1/2" slices
1 Tbsp olive oil
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cinnamon
salt to taste

Bring several quarts of water to a boil, add carrots, and cook until tender (about 8 min). Whisk together remaining ingredients in a small bowl. When carrots are done, drain and mix with dressing. Serves 3.

This is tasty and different. I would suggest adding more cumin (although I must warn you that I'm in love with cumin and probably wouldn't mind adding it to my drinking water). It's a great alternative to butter and salt that usually adorns boiled and steamed carrots (not that there's anything wrong with that).

So far I'm really enjoying cooking through these books, and it's been quite successful. The only problem is that I have to prevent myself from getting out of control and cooking through every page.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This recipe was a nice change of pace.