Monday, March 9, 2009

Quinoa and black bean chili

Quinoa and black bean chili adapted from Closet Cooking
I noticed this recipe last week and it really caught my eye. I also had leftover chipotles in adobo sauce and was looking for a way to use them, so I came back to the recipe. Boy am I glad that I did.

Quinoa and black bean chili (adapted from Closet Cooking)

1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed well
1 cup water
1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, cut into bite-sized chunks
1/2 red bell pepper, cut into bite-sized chunks
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 Tbsp chili powder
1/2 Tbsp cumin
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
1 can black beans
1/2 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
1/2 tsp dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
3/4 cup frozen corn
1/4 cup cilantro, minced

Combine quinoa and water in small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until all of the water is absorbed (18-20 min). While quinoa is cooking, heat oil in pot and saute onions for a few minutes. Add bell peppers and cook until they're tender. Add garlic, chili powder, and cumin, and cook for 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, beans, pepper, oregano, and salt and pepper, and let simmer for 20 min. Add corn and quinoa and simmer for 5 min. Stir in cilantro and serve. Serves 3.

This was absolutely delicious. It has a great smoky flavor that goes great with the veggies. And it's the perfect dish for quinoa, because I prefer it with stronger flavors that it can absorb. Just like most chilis, it's very filling and kept me stuffed for a long time.

Between this and the bean dip, my supply of cooked beans was dwindling, so I had a bean cooking fest yesterday and now my freezer is stuffed full again. Now I'm ready for just about anything!

No comments: