Friday, May 29, 2009

Colorful black bean salad

colorful black bean salad, adapted from Could It Be...Seitan?Although I probably could have stopped with the chicken and shrimp kabobs, potato salad, and cantaloupe and mozzarella salad, I decided that a bean salad would be fun, summery, and perfect for Memorial Day. And I certainly couldn't pass up another chance to use more local tomatoes while I was in Florida (I got back to Michigan yesterday, and am already regretting that I didn't fill a suitcase with them).

Colorful black bean salad (adapted from Could It Be... SEITAN?)

2 cups cooked black beans (or 1 can, rinsed and drained)
2 cups frozen corn, thawed
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 orange bell pepper, diced
1/2 red onion, diced
2 tomatoes, diced
1 avocado, diced
juice of 2 limes
2 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, stir well, and serve immediately. Serves 6.

This was really good, light, and definitely perfect for the beginning of summer. Mom said it was her favorite of the salads that I made, particularly after adding the oil. Not only was it tasty, but it was also a very colorful addition to the table. My grandmother has lost most of her sense of taste, but she enjoyed the color and texture of this salad. I have to admit that I didn't think of this while I was making it, but I'm glad that she was able to enjoy it too!

No comments: