Thursday, May 28, 2009

Lighter potato salad with onions and garlic

lighter potato salad with onions and garlicI love potato salad, but I'm very picky about it. I like simple ones that allow you to really taste the potatoes (something similar to mayonnaise soup with small chunks of potatoes is not my idea of good food). One of my friend's made a great potato salad a couple of weeks ago, and inspired me to try one out for Memorial Day.

Lighter potato salad with onions and garlic

5 large red potatoes, cut into bite-size chunks
1 Vidalia onion, sliced thinly
1 cup plain yogurt
1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp dried dill
1 tsp Greek seasoning mix
3 garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper to taste

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add potatoes, and cook until fork-tender (20-30 min). Drain potatoes, let them cool for 5-10 min, and add onions. Stir remaining ingredients together in a small bowl and adjust seasonings to your liking. Stir about half of the dressing into the potatoes and onions, and add more until potatoes are sufficiently coated, but not swimming. Ideally let it sit in the refrigerator for a while before serving. Serves 6-8.

This definitely satisfied most of my requirements for potato salad - it was light and emphasized the potatoes. The garlic was a little bit overwhelming (my cloves were huge), so I would either use smaller cloves or fewer of them next time (I can't believe that I just said that I plan to cut back on the garlic!). I love that the turmeric gives this a beautiful yellow color and a slight mustard taste. It's such a fabulous spice!

No comments: