Sunday, October 25, 2009

Roasted butternut squash and potatoes recipe

Roasted butternut squash and potatoes
During the fall and winter, there's nothing I crave more than roasted vegetables.  Part of the reason that I enjoy them roasted is that turning on the oven (at a fairly high temperature, no less) does a very good job warming up my apartment.  I haven't yet turned on my heat, so my oven has been getting quite a workout lately.

The great thing about roasting veggies is that you can throw together just about anything and it works.  I happened to have several butternut squash that my parents brought from my grandparents' garden several months ago (I was in denial that fall had arrived for some time, and refused to eat winter squash).  I combined that with sweet potatoes from my CSA share and a few potatoes that I bought at the market last week.  It was fabulous.  These sweet potatoes are some of the best that I've ever had, and I'm hoping to stock up before the market ends next week.  Feel free to throw in other veggies, such as carrots, parsnips, turnips, other types of winter squash, etc. 

Roasted butternut squash and potatoes
(Printable version)

2 small or 1 large butternut squash
3 medium sweet potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces (peel if you want; I didn't)
4 small russet potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp dried thyme or rosemary
1/4 cup shredded parmesan (optional)

Peel the squash with a vegetable peeler, and cut it in half.  Remove the seeds and stringy membrane, and then cut the squash into bite-sized pieces.  Combine the squash and the potatoes on a large baking sheet (I line mine with foil to make clean-up easier).  Drizzle oil over the veggies, and sprinkle with salt and herbs.  Toss the veggies well so that everything is covered in oil, and then roast at 425 for 30 min.  Stir the veggies and continue to cook until everything is very tender (15-30 more min).  Sprinkle with parmesan if desired.  Serves 5.

3 comments:

Tasty Eats At Home said...

Glad you decided to stop hating on the winter squash - it's not its fault that fall arrived - and made a yummy dish! I love winter squash, I mean LOVE it! I could eat it every day. Okay, maybe not, but still, this dish would be one I'd surely enjoy!

Katie said...

Alta - It just took me some time, but now I'm eating winter squash all the time. Glad you liked the look of this dish!

Tasty Eats At Home said...

Thanks for linking this up! Still looks yummy!