Sunday, October 4, 2009

Broiled tomatoes with parmesan recipe

broiled tomatoes with parmesan, adapted from Vegetables Every Day
I know that the tomatoes will soon be gone, but I'm trying to enjoy as many as I can before they disappear.  I've been eating a ton of them in salads because, to me, a salad isn't really a salad unless it has delicious tomatoes on top.  I also enjoy cooked tomatoes, but I never think to make them.  While I was looking at the mix of heirloom and "non-heirloom" ("traditional"? "standard"?) tomatoes on my counter, I realized that I have never had broiled heirlooms.  So, I mixed them together in an extremely simple broiled tomatoes dish.

This was simple, but amazing.  I love the way that the cooked tomato taste is completely different, but equally delicious.  The tomatoes virtually melt in your mouth, too.  I love the heirlooms and, as with raw ones, the green zebras were my favorites.  The bit of cheese on top was the perfect complement, and this is an ideal accompaniment for just about any meal.

Broiled tomatoes with parmesan (adapted from "Vegetables Every Day" by Jack Robbins)
(Printable version)

1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
4-5 tomatoes, sliced in half

Mix the cheese, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.  Place tomatoes in a baking dish and sprinkle the cheese mixture over them.  Broil them (ideally on a rack about 6 inches away from the heating element) for about 5 min, or until the tops brown.  Serves 4.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish we had good tomatoes here but the British tomatoes are just so pale and tasteless....

notyet100 said...

yum this looks,..

Tasty Eats At Home said...

Oh, I love broiled tomatoes with cheese. Yum! I wish we had more colorful heirlooms at my local market, I'm sure they have more at the big Dallas one, but it's just so far out of my way! But even with "regular" tomatoes, this looks sublime.

Katie said...

Snowbell - I wish I could send you some!! I get really annoyed when people here declare that they don't like tomatoes but have only tried ones from the grocery store in December. They don't realize what they have available to them!!

notyet100 - Thanks!

Alta - I really enjoyed the regular ones, too. I'm lucky that my CSA farm has all sorts of heirlooms, but it seems that most people don't grow them, particularly in the south. I would think that it would be well worth the extra effort and money because of the large demand. Who knows...

Unknown said...

Omg! I just made these and they are AMAZING!

Mica
2nd gen moto x review