Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Cantaloupe sorbet recipe

cantaloupe sorbet, adapted from Dawn's Recipes
I've been obsessed with local cantaloupe this year, except that the farmers argue that it's not cantaloupe, but muskmelon.  Mom was skeptical that they are different, and apparently she's right.  I've also heard them called rockmelons at the market, which is an Australian term for cantaloupe.  Who knew that our market had so many international influences?  Whatever you call them, they're delicious and don't even compare to what is available in grocery stores.  Last week I scored a great deal on several melons that had small soft spots.  I saved one of them for this special treat.

This sorbet was amazing and incredibly sweet.  In fact, if using great melons, it's probably best to skip the honey all together and rely on the natural sugar from the fruit.  The taste is fabulous, it's a very refreshing treat, and it's almost too easy to make.  So easy, in fact, that I managed to have a huge kitchen fiasco.  As I was putting my blender jar on the counter, it slipped out of my hand and dropped on the counter, and the bottom ring broke.  The food processor worked fine for this, but I was momentarily upset that I was going to have to replace my ancient blender that I inherited from my parents.  Luckily the crisis has been averted, as the replacement that I ordered arrived yesterday and actually fits!  Perhaps I need to test it with more sorbet??

Cantaloupe sorbet (adapted from Dawn's Recipes)
(Printable version)

1 cantaloupe (or whatever you want to call it), cut into chunks
juice of one lime
2 Tbsp honey

Combine ingredients in a blender or food processor and process until smooth.  Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.  Makes about 1 1/2 quarts.

3 comments:

lubnakarim06 said...

Sorbets are my favourite.....this looks yum...

Tasty Eats At Home said...

I love cantaloupe. Or muskmelon. Whatever. :) The especially fragrant, sweet ones are my favorite. This sounds so simple and delicious - I've only made one sorbet this year that I liked - watermelon. I might just have to add cantaloupe to that list! Sorry to hear about your blender, glad your new replacement part fits! Oh, and I like the new look of your blog. Nice new banner!

Katie said...

KF - I'm a big fan of sorbets, too. Glad you like the look of this one!

Alta - I meant to make watermelon sorbet this year, but every time I cut one up, it disappeared before I had time to make sorbet. Perhaps there will still be some at the market this week and I can try it out. I'm glad you like the new banner! I was never happy with the old one, so I finally got around to making something new a few weeks back.