Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sweet potato, black bean, and corn hash

Sweet potato, black bean, and corn hash adapted from Moosewood Restaurant New ClassicsWhile flipping through the cookbook of the month, this recipe really stood out to me. There are few things I enjoy more than sweet potatoes and black beans, so it seemed natural to put them together.

Sweet potato, black bean, and corn hash (adapted from "Moosewood Restaurant New Classics")

1 Tbsp olive oil
2 large onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1/2" pieces (about 6 cups)
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
1 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp coriander
pinch of salt
1 cup corn (fresh or frozen)
1 2/3 cups cooked black beans (or 1 can)
hot sauce to taste
2 green onions, chopped

Heat oil over medium heat in large skillet. Add onion and cook until tender (about 7 min). Add garlic and cook for an additional minute. Stir in sweet potato and let cook, covered, for 3 min. Then add jalapeno, cumin, coriander, and salt and continue to cook, covered, for 3 min. Stir in corn and beans, recover, and cook for 10 min, or until sweet potatoes are tender. Add hot sauce and garnish with green onions. Serves 4.

This is insanely delicious. The onions and sweet potatoes developed a nice caramelized flavor, which pairs perfectly with the beans and corn. It has a nice kick to it (which I love), but you could always tone it down by reducing the jalapeno and not adding the hot sauce. Here's another winner from this book, and I'm going to be sad to see the month end because there are a ton more recipes that I want to make.

2 comments:

Reeni said...

This looks insanely delicious! I love black beans and sweet potatoes. The combo is fantastic and so are the spices in this.

Katie said...

Thanks! I really enjoyed it. I ate the last of it for lunch today, and now I'm wishing I had more!