Friday, April 3, 2009

Sauteed swiss chard with raisins and pine nuts

sauteed swiss chard with raisins and pine nuts, adapted from We Heart Food
I already mentioned my fabulous finds at the MSU student organic farm stand. I don't cook much chard, but it looked so beautiful that I couldn't pass it up. I quickly found some tasty-sounding recipes, and this one stuck out because I love pine nuts and haven't used them in a while.

Sauteed swiss chard with raisins and pine nuts (adapted from We Heart Food)

2 Tbsp pine nuts
1 bunch swiss chard (about 1/2 lb)
1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 Tbsp golden raisins
1/4 cup water

Toast pine nuts in a dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant (about 5 min). Set nuts aside. Tear chard leaves from the stems, and chop each separately. Add oil to skillet and saute onions until tender (about 5 min). Add chard stems and saute for 3 min. Stir in raisins and water, cover, and let simmer until stems are tender (about 3 min). Add chard leaves, partially cover skillet, and simmer until leaves are wilted (about 3 min). Sprinkle nuts on top. Serves 2.

You know, I think vegetables that are this colorful automatically taste better. This was really good, and I love that this recipe combines the stems and leaves (why not use them together??). Many vegetables go well with raisins and nuts, and this was certainly no exception. And I didn't even burn the pine nuts (there may have been an incident at Thanksgiving where I ruined about a cup of them... whoops!). Stopping at the farm stand was definitely the best thing I've done all week, and I will definitely be cooking more chard from now on. I wish I had bought more this week!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Lovely! I'm putting that on my Xmas Eve menu. Think it might be good with a bit of balsamic vinegar to balance the sweetness?

Katie said...

Sorry, I'm just now seeing this comment. But yes, I think the balsamic would be a wonderful addition.