Thursday, January 15, 2009

Cooked Onions and Apples

Cooked onions and apples, adapted from How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman
I love onions. I love apples. Cinnamon is heaven on earth. So what could be better than this dish? It came from "How to Cook Everything," and Bittman is definitely on to something with this recipe.

Cooked Onions and Apples (adapted from "How to Cook Everything" by Mark Bittman)

3 cups sliced onions
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 cups cored and sliced Granny Smith apples (about 2 medium apples)
generous pinch of cinnamon

Cook onions in covered skillet over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add oil, apples, and cinnamon. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and continue to cook until apples are completely tender. Serves 3.

I just ate this as a dessert. Call me crazy, but the apples and onion caramelization make it work. The oil could be cut down to 1 Tbsp, but otherwise it's perfect (and so easy!). I've seen a similar recipe with brussel sprouts instead of onions, so I may have to give that one a try, too.

No comments: