Saturday, August 23, 2008

Adventures in food...

Dad made a good suggestion to start a log of everything I've made.  I decided to take it one step further and make a blog.  This way I'll know what I liked, and maybe I'll keep some of you entertained in the process.

Today at the farmer's market, I was pleasantly surprised to find some okra.  You can usually find okra in the grocery store here, but it ranges anywhere from slightly sketchy looking to completely inedible.  But this farm had some of the most beautiful okra I've ever seen, so I couldn't pass it up.  Last time I made okra it was for a bunch of my friends (I wanted to introduce it to all of the midwesterners), and I decided to stew it with some tomatoes to reduce the sliminess.  But honestly, I don't mind the sliminess and I think it gives okra a certain charm.  So I considered boiling it today, but I decided to try something different.  I found a very simple recipe for roasted okra at FatFree Vegan Recipes, and decided to try it out.  I used greek seasoning instead of salt and pepper, and added some minced garlic.  It was quite delicious (and so easy!).  The roasting does get rid of the sliminess, but that was ok.  They're right about only using the small pods.  I had a good mix of small and large and decided to try them all, but the really big ones ended up hard as a rock.  Now I know for next time...

While I'm at it, I'll also mention this delicious eggplant and zucchini lasagna that I made a few weeks ago.  Cooking Light is one of my favorite recipe websites, and when I needed an Italian dish for Sunday night dinner, that's where I looked first.  It was very tasty, and everyone else seemed to think so too.  I'll definitely be making that again (with whole wheat pasta this time).

No comments: