Monday, August 2, 2010

Light summer squash casserole recipe

Light summer squash casserole
One of my favorite southern foods is squash casserole.  The squash is mushy (in a good way) and almost melts in your mouth.  It must be a family favorite, too, because Mom always made one for Thanksgiving until I took over the cooking duties and tried to focus on more seasonal concoctions (I may have to give some of the responsibility back this year, though...).    Most squash casseroles are full of butter, cheese, sour cream, and bread/cracker crumbs, and although there's not anything wrong with that, I wanted to make a lighter, everyday version.  I loved the taste of this casserole, and I didn't feel bad eating half of the pan.  I didn't miss any of the other ingredients, which honestly surprised me.  And with all of the squash that I inherited from my grandmother's freezer, I can make this all winter!


Light summer squash casserole (adapted from Vintage Victuals)
(Printable version)

1 1/2 pounds yellow summer squash, sliced thinly
1 small onion, chopped
1 egg, beaten
1 Tbsp butter
pinch of salt
freshly ground black pepper

Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan, then add squash and let cook until it's tender (about 10 min).  Drain the squash and return it to the pot.  Then add the onion, egg, butter, and salt and pepper, and mix well.  Pour mixture into an 8x8 baking pan and cook at 375 for 45-60 min, until the edges are brown.  Let cool for 10 min before serving.  Serves 2-3.

7 comments:

Joanne said...

The best part of freezing away seasonal veggies is being able to eat them off-season...with no guilt! This sounds like one tasty casserole!

Tasty Eats At Home said...

I too LOVE squash casserole. Love your lighter version - yum!

Castal said...

Given that I have squash growing out of every corner of my garden (I swear that I only planted one of those 6-ish plants) I will be trying this soon. I have been freezing squash as I get it and I think this will work wonderfully for it.

Thanks!

Anna Johnston said...

Interesting, I've never tried summer squash casserole. My taste buds think they would like the traditional thanksgiving recipe :) You lighter version would more likely be better for me though.... cheers Anna

Katie said...

Joanne - I agree, and I can't wait to have the space for an extra freezer.

Alta - Thanks!

Castal - This is a perfect use for frozen squash. Let me know how you like it if you try this.

Anna - The traditional recipe is fantastic... you really can't go wrong either way.

bed frame said...

Oh! This is really lovely! I like the bright color in it. Perfect!

Brittany @ Real Sustenance said...

LOVE LOVE squash. Cant get enough of it. ever :)
Wanted to invite you to participate in a weekly event I host titled Seasonal SUndays!
Hope you have a great week!
(Now off to go look through your wonderful site some more!! :)
-Brittany-