Monday, August 10, 2009

CSA round up week #4

CSA round up week #4Whoops! I forgot that I needed to do a round-up for my last CSA share until I picked up a new batch of veggies this week. I'm really excited that the variety is increasing with each week, and I can hopefully avoid having kale grow out of my hair follicles. On this particular week, I was about to go bonkers with all of the greens, so I rebelled and avoided the greens like the plague as I was choosing my items. Yes, that's my form of rebellion... obviously I was never a problem child.

This CSA share consisted of beautiful carrots, okra (!!), green and a few yellow beans, squash, cucumbers, and kohlrabi. Here's how I celebrated the true beginning of summer goodies:


Summer squash is one of my absolute favorite veggies. I will never ever tire of it. I promise. Ask me at the end of September and I will be missing it already. This particular squash found its way into a greens, squash, and chicken lasagna:
recipe for lasagna with ground chicken, summer squash, and mixed greens
I was ecstatic to see that okra was an option! I love okra, and made an omelet with stewed okra and tomatoes:
recipe for omelets with stewed okra and tomatoes

recipe for refrigerator pickles and banana peppers
The colorful beans were the perfect match for purple potatoes in an easy boiled beans and potatoes veggie dish:
recipe for boiled green beans and purple potatoes
The kohlrabi and some of the pickled cucumbers made frequent appearances in salads. I LOVE salads filled with summer veggies.
summer veggie salad with kohlrabi
And finally, I roasted the carrots with a bit of olive oil and thyme for an amazing side (ok, I actually ate this for dessert one night). The best thing about local carrots is that they don't have to be peeled - the entire thing tastes great! And I love the funny shapes :)
roasted carrots
I am so excited to see more variety, and can't wait to see what the next few months bring. Today I confirmed that there will be more okra (it's in the greenhouse, so it will survive for quite a while!). I have to control myself when I go to the farmers' market because there are so many amazing fruits and veggies and I want to buy all of them. It's a good thing that I've been eating everything in sight lately!

No comments: