Thursday, June 4, 2009

Potato pizza

**This is not a gluten-free recipe and was posted before I eliminated gluten from my diet. Use your favorite gluten-free pizza crust for a great pizza.**

potato pizza, adapted from Mark Bittman's How to Cook EverythingIt's been almost two months since I last made pizza, and that should never happen. I still had one ball of dough left in my freezer, and I finally decided to get it out and put it to good use.

Potato pizza (adapted from Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything")

1 ball (6 oz.) of 100% whole white wheat pizza dough (originally from 101 Cookbooks)
1/2 lb. small potatoes (I used gold, but red would work great too), sliced thinly
1/4 cup cornmeal
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp dried rosemary

If your dough is frozen, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight, then let it sit out at room temp for several hours. Bring medium pot of salted water to a boil, and cook potato slices until they begin to get tender (5-7 min). Drain potatoes and set aside. Sprinkle baking sheet with cornmeal, and then pull dough out into a 12" circle and place on baking sheet. Spread potatoes out on dough, drizzle with oil, and sprinkle with rosemary. Bake at 500 until dough browns and is thoroughly cooked (8-10 min). Serves 2.

I love the simplicity of this pizza, and it really allows you to taste the amazing whole wheat crust. I don't know that this beats out my barbecue chicken and caramelized onion pizza or my eggplant pizza (it's hard to compare things that are so different), but it's definitely worth making again. And now that my dough is gone, I definitely need to stock my freezer with more because there are endless pizza toppings to try. Any favorites out there?

No comments: