Monday, February 23, 2009

Pineapple custard

Pineapple custard, adapted from Sweet and Sugarfree by Karen Barkie
I had crushed pineapple leftover from the sweet potato casserole that I made last week. I looked around for a pineappley dessert, and came across this one. I don't know that I've ever made a custard, but it seemed like the perfect time to try (and the perfect way to use up some milk before I head out of town tomorrow).

Pineapple custard (adapted from "Sweet and Sugarfree" by Karen Barkie)

1 cup crushed pineapple and juice (about 1/2 can)
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
sprinkle of nutmeg

Put pineapple and juice in blender and whip. Add remaining ingredients and whip again. Pour evenly into three custard cups (I don't have any, so I used 2-cup Pyrex bowls). Sprinkle each custard with nutmeg. Put cups in large pan with 1" of hot water around them. Bake at 350 for 50 min (or more, see below) until custard sets. Remove cups from pan, cool, and refrigerate. Serves 3.

This was really good. I'm thoroughly enjoying this book - it's amazing how sweet things can be when they have fruit in them! I don't think I cooked my custards long enough - they looked set, but the middle is a little bit juicier than it should be. Oh well, they're still delicious!

No comments: