Sunday, August 31, 2008

Falafel and tzatziki

Baked Falafel from Kalyn's Kitchen and Greek tzatziki sauce


The theme of tonight's Sunday dinner was "bring what you make best", but I was a rebel and wanted to try something new.  I've been craving falafel ever since I had some in Amsterdam, so tonight was finally the night to make some.  I made a baked version that I found on Kalyn's Kitchen (a great website that I just discovered), and for once I followed the recipe exactly (but tripled it).  It's not the same as fried falafel, but it also isn't as heavy and I thought it was good.  It was a little bit dry, but I don't know that it would have held together before baking with more moisture, so I think it'll have to stay that way.  I'm not sure how it will stand up to reheating, but I'll find out in the next few days...

Instead of the tahini sauce that Kalyn recommends, I made some tzatziki sauce.  I started with this recipe, but made quite a few changes.  I only made a half recipe, drained the yogurt for about 45 min, added about 1/2 cup of red onion, and used dried dill weed.  I didn't measure most of the ingredients and added them until I was satisfied.  I also stirred them by hand instead of using the food processor because I like the chunky consistency.  After a couple of hours in the refrigerator, the flavors went together really well.  It was gone really quickly (apparently I should have made a whole batch), and at one point I saw Jess eating a spoonful of it by itself.

No comments: