Sunday, May 9, 2010

Rhubarb and strawberry compote recipe

Rhubarb and strawberry compote
My favorite farmers' market opened last weekend, and I'm so happy to have plans every Saturday morning again.  I'm trying to enjoy the spring offerings and not think about the fact that I'll move before the market really gets going.  Last week I picked up rhubarb on a whim.  The challenge with rhubarb is that most recipes call for tons of sugar to cancel out its sour nature.  However, I really enjoy rhubarb's sourness, and I also try to avoid much added sugar.  So, I decided to cook the rhubarb into a compote with strawberries (for some natural sweetness) and then added small amounts of honey until I was satisfied with the flavor.  Luckily my strawberries were very sweet and in the end I didn't have to add much honey at all.  I've added this compote to yogurt and oatmeal for breakfast, and I've also eaten in by itself as a dessert because it's just that good.  I just finished the last of it and I'm kicking myself for not getting more rhubarb at the market this morning.  I'm submitting this dish to Weekend Herb Blogging, which is organized by Haalo from Cook (almost) Anything At Least Once, and hosted by Lynne from Cafe Lynnylu this week.

Rhubarb and strawberry compote
(Printable version)

5 large stalks of rhubarb, chopped into 1/2" pieces
1 lb strawberries, tops removed and halved
1 Tbsp honey or agave nectar (to your taste)

Put the rhubarb and strawberries in a large saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.  When the fruit has broken down significantly (after about 20 min), add honey or agave until it's sweet enough for you.  Continue to cook for 10-20 more min.  Makes about 2 cups.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

katie the compote looks so inviting and awesome click!

Joanne said...

I made a compote like this to top a cheesecake not too long ago! Good stuff.

Kristen said...

What a creative way to use rhubarb. Looks delicious!

Lynne Daley said...

I've always shied away from rhubarb-guess I didn't know how to cook it, but after making a cherry rhubarb cobbler once, I was hooked on it. Your compote looks very tasty and easy, plus versatile-I like that! Thanks for joining in WHB#232.

Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl said...

Awesome! I have quite a bit of rhubarb in my garden and I've been wondering what I'd do with it. Now I can try this. Thanks! :-D