Saturday, May 22, 2010

Cabbage stuffed with quinoa pilaf recipe

cabbage stuffed with quinoa pilaf
I loved this simple quinoa pilaf, especially because my last pilaf was virtually inedible.  The flavors were very simple, but the combination of quinoa, tomatoes, raisins, and pine nuts was perfect.  I got the pilaf recipe from Gluten-Free Goddess, but decided to stuff cabbage instead of mushrooms.  The pilaf would be great alone, as well (I had some left after stuffing the cabbage, and enthusiastically gobbled it up while the cabbage rolls were baking).  I'm submitting this dish to Weekend Herb Blogging, which is organized by Haalo from Cook (almost) Anything At Least Once, and hosted by Astrid from Paulchen's Foodblog.

Cabbage stuffed with quinoa pilaf (adapted from Gluten-Free Goddess)
(Printable version)

8 large cabbage leaves
1 tsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups cooked quinoa
15 cherry tomatoes, halved
4 green onions, chopped
3 Tbsp raisins
3 Tbsp toasted pine nuts
salt and pepper to taste

Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and then add cabbage leaves and boil until they're tender (about 5 min).  Remove the leaves from the water and set aside to cool.  While the cabbage cools, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Then add the garlic and saute for a minute.  Stir in the remaining ingredients, season with salt and pepper, and let heat through for a few minutes before removing it from the burner.  Then stuff each cabbage leaf with about 1/3 cup quinoa pilaf, roll the cabbage up tightly, and place it seam side down into a large baking dish.  Bake at 350 for 20-30 min.  Serves 4.

6 comments:

Polyxena said...

This looks delicious. I love rice cabbage rolls and recently ate my first quinoa. I think it will be a great combination!

Lindsey said...

I haven't had stuffed cabbage in years. Im inspired!

Joanne said...

I still haven't hopped on the stuffed cabbage bandwagon but that pilaf looks super good. Love quinoa!

Unknown said...

This looks AWESOME! Can't wait to try it - thanks for sharing!

Katie said...

Polyxena - Thanks! I'm glad you discovered quinoa, too!

Lindsey - I'm glad that this provides some inspiration :)

Joanne - No stuffed cabbage? I'm behind the times, but have become obsessed with it in the last couple of years. The pilaf is great alone, too, though.

EVG - Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

This looks delish! The way you prepared it is really innovative. Kind of reminded me of this show called Extreme Chef http://www.facebook.com/pages/Extreme-Chef/195324160502642