Thursday, May 13, 2010

Fig, pecan, and flax crackers recipe

Fig, pecan, and flax crackers
Since I've started packing up my apartment, I've become even more sensitive to the fact that nobody wants more junk to sit around.  So for Mother's Day, I wanted to give Mom something useful.  Between work and taking care of my grandmother, she has been excessively busy lately, so I decided to make her a care package of sorts, with healthy snacks that would keep her going at work and on her weekend trips.  It was also a present for me because it gave me an excuse to try new recipes (thanks, Mom!).  These crackers sounded perfect for Mom, so I gave 'em a shot.  They recipe made more than I expected, though, and I ended up taking some to a cookout with friends.  Between my friends and my parents, I've heard a lot of good things about these crackers.  I loved them, too, and had to package them up before I scarfed them all down.  And best of all, these crackers are the easiest ones I've ever made.  They're thick, and don't require the use of a rolling pin (I'm still not very skilled with my rolling pin).  In fact, their appearance is more similar to a cookie than a cracker, and they do have a hint of sweetness from the figs and brown sugar.  Sweet cracker?  Savory cookie?  Call them whatever you want, but I highly suggest making them.

Fig, pecan, and flax crackers (adapted from life as a h4)
(Printable version)

1/3 cup flax seeds (whole ones, not ground)
1/4 cup almond or flax meal
1 1/2 cups gluten-free baking mix (or white or whole wheat flour)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp brown sugar
4 Tbsp butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1 cup dried figs, chopped
1/2 cup milk (or more, if necessary)

Combine flax seeds, almond or flax meal, baking mix, baking powder, salt, and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl.  Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut the butter into the mixture until the butter is in tiny pieces and well distributed throughout the flour/flax/etc.  Add the pecans, figs, and milk to the bowl, and stir until everything is mixed well.  If you're having trouble incorporating all of the flour into the dough, add milk a tablespoon at a time (I added about 1/4 cup more).  Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 10 min.  Then divide the dough into two pieces and roll each piece into a log with a 2" diameter.  Using a sharp knife, slice the log into 1/4" slices and place them on baking sheets lined with parchment paper (some of my crackers fell apart as I was slicing the logs, but I pieced them back together and it worked fine).  Then bake the crackers at 325 for 20-30 min, until they are golden brown.  Let them cool before serving or storing.  Makes about 30 crackers.

5 comments:

Joanne said...

Packing definitely always makes me realize how important it is to just throw stuff out every once in a while. Do I really need my class notes from high school? Uh no.

These crackers, on the other hand. I feel are a necessity. I adore dried figs!

Leah said...

My first thought was "savory cookies." These sound great...I love using flax seed!

Lindsey said...

I am a fan of the fig but afraid of baking g-f from scratch (yes... I love Pamela's and Lucy's cookieS). This, however, I think I can try. Awesome!

potlikker said...

These are great, with just enough sweetness. They leave a great aftertaste that drags you back.

Katie said...

Joanne - I've been fairly good about not keeping stuff, but I did come across bank statements from an account that I closed 5 years ago. After a trip to Goodwill and the recycling center, I finally feel free of everything. And yes, dried (and fresh) figs are wonderful!

Leah - I love flax, too, and throw it in almost everything, so why not crackers/cookies!

Lindsey - I understand your hesitation, but this one is fairly easy. I'm sure it would work with Pamela's baking mix, too, if you don't want to buy the individual flours.

Dad - Normally I don't think of an aftertaste as a good thing, but I suppose if it drags you back it's ok. Glad you're enjoying them!