Sunday, November 8, 2009

Quinoa, pineapple, edamame, and cashew stir fry recipe

Quinoa, pineapple, edamame, and cashew stir fry, adapted from The Reluctant Vegetarian
After my adventures in applesauce making, my freezer filled up quickly.  In an attempt to prevent being attacked by falling freezer bags and containers every time I open the freezer door, I started clearing a few things out.  I had apparently forgotten about a bag of edamame that was hanging out in the back.  I love the stuff, but I never think to cook with it.  After a quick search through recipes that I bookmarked a while back, I came across a recipe at The Reluctant Vegetarian for a quinoa and pineapple stir fry with edamame.  It sounded amazing, so I went for it.

I enjoyed this after I made it, but LOVED it the next day.  It was good cold or hot.  I loved the mixture of different textures, and it wasn't overly fruity (I sometimes have an issue mixing fruit with savory dishes).  Two peppers made it fairly hot, but it was a great way to clean out my sinuses.  I recommend using only one (or use milder peppers) if you're not a fan of spice.


Quinoa, pineapple, edamame, and cashew stir fry (adapted from The Reluctant Vegetarian and originally adapted from Veganomicon)
(Printable version)

1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
1 cup water
1 cup pineapple juice
1/2 tsp soy sauce (wheat-free tamari for a gluten-free version)
1/2 cup raw cashews
1 Tbsp peanut oil
2 green onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1-2 small red peppers (I rehydrated two dried Asian peppers - not sure what kind), sliced thinly
1/2" piece of ginger, peeled and minced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 cup cooked edamame (I cooked and then shelled about 2/3 of a 1 lb. package)
1/2 cup fresh basil, minced
2 Tbsp fresh mint, minced
2 cups chopped pineapple
2 Tbsp soy sauce (or wheat-free tamari)
1/4 cup veggie stock
1 Tbsp sherry
lime wedges (optional)

Combine the quinoa, water, pineapple juice, and 1/2 tsp soy sauce in a medium saucepan.  Bring this to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer until all of the liquid is absorbed (about 15 min).  Then fluff the quinoa with a fork and let cool.  If there's time, let it refrigerate for a while before you continue.

Make sure that everything is chopped and ready to go before you continue.  First, toast the cashews in a large dry saute pan over medium heat, shaking frequently, until they're light brown and fragrant (about 5 min).  Then set them aside and add oil to the pan (keeping it over medium heat).  Add the garlic and green onions, and cook for a minute until they're fragrant.  Then stir in peppers and ginger and cook for another 2 minutes.  Add the bell pepper and edamame and continue to cook until the pepper is tender, about 4 min.  Then add the basil and mint, stir for a minute, and toss in the pineapple and quinoa.  In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, stock, and sherry, and then stir this into the pan.  Let everything continue to cook for 10-15 more min, stirring occasionally.  Garnish with lime wedges.  Serves 4-5

3 comments:

reluctant veggie said...

so glad you enjoyed it! we haven't made this in a while, but it's a tasty meal for sure. :)

Tasty Eats At Home said...

Quinoa is the most amazing stuff. Why don't I use it more often? This looks delicious.

Katie said...

rv - thanks again for a great recipe!

Alta - You should definitely use it more often. I especially love it because it cooks so quickly!