Friday, November 20, 2009

Cranberry chutney recipe

Cranberry chutney, adapted from The Neelys
I've never been a big fan of cranberry sauce, especially if it still has indentations from rings in the side of the aluminum can.  No thank you.  But, I found myself with 2/3 of a bag of fresh cranberries, so I thought about doing something with them for the Pre-giving feast.  (Don't ask what happened to the other third of the bag.  It was a catastrophe.)  As luck would have it, I turned on the Food Network while I was working out on Saturday morning, and the Neelys were making this fabulous looking chutney that didn't involve 4 cups of sugar. 

Despite my trepidation for all things cranberry-based (especially considering the recent failure), I really liked this.  It retained much of the tartness from the cranberries, but had just enough balance from the other fruit and honey to prevent my face from puckering up.  To celebrate my first successful dish using fresh cranberries, I'm submitting this to Weekend Herb Blogging.  Haalo from Cook (almost) Anything At Least Once organizes this event, and Winnie from Healthy Green Kitchen is hosting this week.

I heard many good comments from my taste-testers, and we tried to figure out what you're really supposed to do with chutney.  We mostly ate it by itself, but also decided that it would be good on yogurt.  What's your favorite way to eat chutney?

Cranberry chutney (adapted from The Neelys)
(Printable version)

1 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup diced onion
2 granny smith apples, diced
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 cup golden raisins
2 cups cranberries
juice of 2 limes
juice of 4 small oranges (about 1/3 cup)
3 Tbsp honey

Melt the butter in medium saucepan over medium heat.  Then saute onion, apples, and thyme until tender.  Stir in the rest of the ingredients, reduce heat to low, and let simmer for 20 min.  Serve hot or let cool.  Makes about 4 cups.

5 comments:

Tasty Eats At Home said...

This sounds really good with the apples. I'm always a fan of leaving my cranberries on the tart side - and orange goes so well with them, but this definitely sounds great!

Katie said...

Alta - I think that the addition of apples and orange juice is what inspired me to make the dish. I really liked the combination, and they naturally sweetened the cranberries to some degree.

Kalyn Denny said...

I like the sound of it, and I'm usually not a big fan of cranberries either. How about this for a recipe idea using it: Trim the fat from a couple of chicken breasts, flatten a bit, rub with olive oil and poultry seasoning, saute in olive oil (or butter!) and serve with some of the warmed chutney over the top.

I think that would be delicious!

Anonymous said...

i see thanx you vru nice post alışveriş

Katie said...

Kalyn - I love your idea of using this on chicken breasts! I'll definitely try that the next time I'm in the mood for chicken.