Thursday, October 8, 2009

Black bean and spinach soup recipe

black bean and spinach soup, adapted from The New York Times
I warned you that I'm obsessed with black beans.  In fact, I cooked up a bunch of dried beans yesterday and froze them in can-sized portions, so brace yourself for a plethora of bean recipes.  I've been meaning to make this soup ever since I first came across the recipe in March, so I jumped on the opportunity when the temperatures dropped, and it was a fabulous match for my yellow squash and jalapeno spoonbread.

I really enjoyed this soup.  I'm always a fan of black bean soup, but I loved that the spinach cooked so much that it gave the soup a creamy texture.  I even enjoyed a cold bowl of this the next day.


Black bean and spinach soup (adapted from The New York Times)
(Printable version)

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced and divided
2 tsp cumin
12 oz. dried black beans, soaked overnight in 2 quarts of water
1 chile pepper in adobo, minced
2 large handfuls spinach
1/2 cup minced cilantro
salt to taste

Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.  Add the onion and saute until it's tender (about 5 min).  Then add half of the garlic and the cumin, and cook an additional minute.  Stir in the beans and their soaking water, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for an hour and a half.  Puree it with an immersion blender (or blend about half of it in a regular blender), add the remaining ingredients (including the rest of the garlic), and continue to cook another 30 min.  Serves 5.

2 comments:

Kalyn said...

Love it! This just got saved in my "recipe to try" folder!

Katie said...

Thanks, Kalyn!! I'm so excited that you're planning to try it!