Thursday, July 23, 2009

Yellow squash and black bean saute recipe

Yellow squash and black bean saute recipeI've been anxiously awaiting the beginning of squash season, and I'm very excited that it's finally here. I'm not sure why I like squash so much, but it's near the top of my favorite vegetables. This will really come in handy in about a month when everybody else is sick of squash and trying to get rid of it. I will happily take it off their hands.

Yellow squash and black bean saute

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
1 tsp cumin
2 cups cooked black beans (or 1 can)
2 tomatoes, diced with juices saved (or 1 can)
6 small yellow squash, cut into 1/2" chunks
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Saute onion in oil until tender, and then add garlic, jalapeno, and cumin and cook an additional minute. Stir in beans, tomatoes, squash, and salt and pepper, and let simmer until squash is very tender (about 20 min), stirring occasionally. Top with cheese. Serves 3.

Weekend Herb Blogging
I was looking forward to a simple meal with squash as the focus, and this did not disappoint. I really love squash with spice and Mexican flavors, so this was a great conglomeration of ingredients. I'm submitting this to Weekend Herb Blogging, which is organized by Haalo from Cook (almost) Anything At Least Once, who also happens to be hosting this week.

13 comments:

eli said...

I don't think I've ever salivated so much so quickly upon visiting your blog! May have something to do with the time of day, but still, this looks amazing!!

Katie said...

eli - Glad to know I have such power over your salivary glands :). Perhaps you and Dan should make another trip so that I can make it for you!

Alta said...

I love squash too. Especially when it's super-fresh from the farmer's market (or my garden)...yum! This sounds tasty and super-speedy to prepare. I like it!

Katie said...

Alta - I agree about the freshness. In fact, that might be why I love squash so much; most of what I had growing up was from my grandparents' garden or from my mom's boss.

Jennifer said...

My father in law makes something similar to this that I just LOVE!!! I need to make this at home! YUM!

Maxine said...

One of the best squash dishes ever! I made this last night for dinner. We thought it was so good! I will definitely be making it again.

Katie said...

Maxine - I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed it!!

Anonymous said...

delicious! wanted to let you know that i used your recipe here as inspiration for my own. instead of black beans i used boca crumbles. fresh tomatoes, and green pepper instead of jalapeno. thanks for posting this!

Katie said...

yogi - I'm so glad you liked it! Thanks for sharing your substitutions, too!! I especially like the idea of using green pepper.

Tavia said...

I just made this last night and it was excellent! It was a great way to use some of my farm share veggies!

Katie said...

Tavia - I'm glad you enjoyed it!!

CONEFLOWER said...

Hello Katie. Have you ever tried eating black beans before they mature to the hard dry stage? They would be more like "green beans" and eaten the same way. Is there anything dangerous about eating them when still green?

Thank you.

Katie said...

Coneflower - That's a great question. I've never had fresh black beans before, but I'm sure that you could use them (and they would likely taste better!). I think that you have to wait until they get black, but I'm not an expert by any means. And you still have to cook fresh beans, but for a much shorter time (15 min??). If you try it out, let me know what works!