Thursday, April 8, 2010

Hominy and bean chili recipe

Hominy and bean chili
This isn't a very photogenic meal, and it may not be for meat lovers (if my dad's reaction is any indication), but I think it's a great example of a quick, easy, filling, and tasty dish.  I made this last week (the day of my panic attack, in fact), and it was great to have a delicious meal that required so little effort (without having too many pre-packaged ingredients).  It's not going to win any awards, but it's enjoyable and perfect for a crazy day.  That's what I love about this book, Lorna Sass's Whole Grains for Busy People, and I've decided to make it the cookbook of the month because I want to make more of these recipes.  Thus far the recipes I've made have been very solid; if you want something amazing, go for her Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way, but if you want something quick and very good, pick up this book.  This was also a great way to use up some of the cooked hominy and beans that are hanging out in my freezer and need to disappear before I move this summer!

Hominy and bean chili (adapted from Whole Grains for Busy People)
(Printable version)

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
pinch of cinnamon
1 can (14 oz.) crushed tomatoes
1 can (14 oz.) diced tomatoes
2 cups cooked hominy (or 1 can)
1 1/2 cups cooked kidney beans (or 1 can)
1 cup cooked butter beans
2 small zucchini
1 cup water (if needed)
1/4 cup cilantro, minced
salt and pepper to taste

Heat the oil over medium heat in a large saucepan.  Add the onion and cook until it's tender, then add garlic and cook an additional minute.  Stir in chili powder, cumin, oregano, and cinnamon and let cook for a minute.  Add tomatoes, hominy, both kinds of beans, zucchini, and water (if you need additional liquid) and bring to a boil.  Then cover the pot, reduce heat to medium-low, and let simmer until zucchini is tender (about 15 min).  Remove from heat, add cilantro, and season with salt and pepper.  Serves 6.


Tasty Eats At Home said...

Sounds comforting and healthy to boot! I love using up freezer leftovers!

Katie said...

Thanks, Alta!