Saturday, February 13, 2010

Dijon mustard potato salad recipe


Weekend Herb BloggingI'm weird when it comes to potato salad; I think that mustard is a necessity, while mayo is optional.  Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with "classic" potato salad (as long as lots of yellow mustard is involved), and it's perfect for a summer picnic.  At other times of year, though, I prefer a classier version with Dijon mustard and oil.  This was probably the best one that I've ever made because the mustard didn't overwhelm the taste of the potatoes.  It was also lighter than most potato salads, which I appreciated.  I'm submitting this soup to Weekend Herb Blogging, which is organized by Haalo from Cook (almost) Anything At Least Once, and hosted by Chris from Mele Cotte this week.

Dijon mustard potato salad (inspired by Vegan Yum-Yum)
(Printable version)

3 pounds red potatoes
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp honey or agave nectar
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
4 green onions, chopped
handful of parsley, chopped

Cut potatoes into bite-sized chunks, add them to a large pot, and cover potatoes with water and a sprinkle of salt.  Boil potatoes until they are soft (about 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of your chunks).  Drain the potatoes and let them cool for about 10 min.  Stir together mustard, oil, vinegar, honey, pepper flakes, and salt and pepper in a small bowl.  Add green onions and parsley, and then combine the dressing mixture and the potatoes in a large mixing bowl.  Taste and add more of any of the dressing ingredients, if necessary.  Serve warm, room temp, or cold.  Serves 8.

7 comments:

Michelle @ Find Your Balance said...

I totally agree on the mayo vs. mustard debate :-)

Anne said...

I am definitely going to try this potato dish. It looks very subtle

Chris said...

I am with you...love dijon mustard in potato salad...and in most things, really! :) Especially Vinaigrettes. Thanks for participating in WHB!

Katie said...

Michelle and Chris - I'm so excited to see that there are fellow mustard-in-potato-salad lovers!

Anne - Let me know what you think!

Chef Jay said...

I love potato salad as a side dish for my barbecue recipes. By the way, I like both mayo and mustard so I think I'll use them both when I make this one. :)

Unknown said...

Delicious.

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Looks light and delicious - I'm definately with you on the mustard ;)

Will making this tonight.

Thanks