Thursday, August 20, 2009

Zucchini, tomato, and kale saute recipe

zucchini, tomato, and kale sauteMy parents are visiting me this week, and we decided to venture to Toronto and Niagara Falls while they're here. Taking a trip always means franticly cleaning out the refrigerator first (I can't stand the thought of food going bad while I'm gone), and this time I had some zucchini and kale that really needed to be cooked. I also have a plethora of tomatoes right now because my parents brought me at least a hundred from my grandparents' garden in Georgia. I couldn't be happier - my grandparents have the tomato growing down to a science. Or maybe it's all in the soil. Either way, I love them enough to bite into several a day as if they're apples. I knew that whatever I did with my zucchini and kale, it was going to include these amazing tomatoes.
Zucchini, tomato, and kale saute recipe
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, sliced thinly
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 large zucchini, sliced
5 tomatoes, chopped
1/2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped (or 1/2 tsp dried)
1/2 Tbsp fresh oregano, chopped (or 1/2 tsp dried)
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
salt to taste
2 bunches kale, stems removed and leaves roughly chopped
Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat, and saute onion until tender. Then add garlic and cook for another minute. Add zucchini, tomatoes, basil, oregano, pepper, and salt, and let cook until zucchini is fairly tender and tomatoes are falling apart (about 10 min). Stir in kale and continue to cook until kale is wilted and tender. Serves 4.
Weekend Herb BloggingAt the end of a busy day, I was simply looking for a way to quickly cook my veggies, but after all was said and done, I would definitely make this again. Somehow cooking kale with other veggies makes it less obvious that you're eating it for the umpteenth time this year. Mom said, "It was a really good blend of flavors. What's the word? Well-blended." Profound, Mom, profound. But I'm very glad that she liked my concoction! I enjoyed this so much that I'm submitting it to Weekend Herb Blogging, which is organized by Haalo from Cook (almost) Anything At Least Once, and is hosted by Prof. Kitty from The Cabinet of Prof. Kitty this week.

2 comments:

Alta said...

Yummy! I can't stand the thought of stuff going bad when I'm gone either. This looks like a good way to use up those veggies!

Katie said...

Thanks, Alta! I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't stand to leave stuff to rot...