Thursday, August 13, 2009

Sauteed kale with garlic, cranberries, and parmesan recipe

sauteed kale with garlic, cranberries, and parmesan adapted from Cinnamon & SpiceAfter taking a little bit of a break from kale, I'm ready to take it on again. This recipe I noticed at Cinnamon & Spice is a little bit different from my usual kale saute with crushed red pepper, so I thought I would give it a shot.

Sauteed kale with garlic, cranberries, and parmesan (adapted from Cinnamon & Spice)

1 Tbsp olive oil
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 large bunch of kale, stems removed and roughly chopped
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1 tsp honey
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese

Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet, and saute garlic for a minute or so. Add kale, coat in oil, cover, and let cook until wilted (a few minutes). Stir in the cranberries and honey, and season with salt and pepper. Let cook another minute or so, and then top with parmesan. Serves 3.

This was just as good as it sounded. I love the combination of greens and dried fruit, and this was no exception. The cranberries and honey gave it just enough sweetness to provide a good contrast with the slightly bitter kale. This was a good way to ease back into the greens because it was so different and delicious. I doubt that I'll get tired of them this time now that there are so many different vegetables in season. But if I do, I will likely make this again to keep things interesting.

5 comments:

Julia said...

I don't know how I missed this recipe the first time around, but glad you're reposting. I also was taking a break from kale, but this looks like a great recipe to try!

Alta said...

Ooh, this sounds wonderful! Probably one of my favorite dishes you've posted to date! Must make this right away!

Karine said...

It seems to be a great way to enjoy kale! Thanks for sharing your recipe :)

Katie said...

Julia, Alta, and Karine - I'm glad you like the sound of the recipe! Let me know what you think if you try it out.

Anonymous said...

I made this but didn't have parmesan. I added crushed walnuts. It was quite good. The sweetness of fruit nicely complements the bitterness of the kale.