Monday, May 16, 2011

Sweet potato casserole recipe

sweet potato casserole

When I was invited to an Easter lunch and needed to come up with a dish to bring, I immediately thought of sweet potatoes.  I don't typically associate sweet potatoes with Easter, but I guess I was in the mood for them.  I didn't want to make the typical southern sweet potato casserole that has more sugar than I care to think about, so I was excited to find a recipe for a low sugar sweet potato casserole at 101 Cookbooks.  This dish was just sweet enough that this could have been a dessert (I ate some of the leftovers this way), but it was also a nice accompaniment to the main meal.  I loved the combination of sweet potatoes and coconut, and I'll be using the two together more often now.  Unfortunately the sweet potatoes that I bought were very stringy, but otherwise it was amazing.

Sweet potato casserole (adapted from 101 Cookbooks)
(Printable version)

6 pounds sweet potatoes
1 cup coconut milk
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp honey
2/3 cup grated coconut (ideally unsweetened), toasted
4 Tbsp melted butter
2/3 cup sliced almonds

Pierce the sweet potatoes in several places with a knife, place them on a large baking sheet, and bake at 400 for an hour to an hour and a half, until they are very soft.  Let the potatoes cool until you can handle them, and then peel them and put all of the flesh into a large mixing bowl.  Add the coconut milk, ginger, cinnamon, salt, and honey to the bowl and mix well.  Lightly grease a 9"x13" pan and spread the potato mixture in the pan.  Sprinkle the coconut on top of the potatoes and drizzle the butter over the coconut.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, and then sprinkle the almonds on top and cook for another 10 minutes, or until the almonds are toasted.  Serves 10.

9 comments:

Joanne said...

I'm of the opinion that sweet potato casserole can and should be eaten year round! I really need to try this recipe.

Sam said...

Glad to see you back at the blog! I am having a bit of a 'kitchen funk' of my own right now, so it is good to see that yours was short-lived. Perhaps it is inevitable when moving to a new city/job/etc.

Katie said...

Joanne - I'm glad we think alike :)

Sam - Yeah, I think that uprooting your life tends to put a hitch in the cooking mojo. I hope you get your groove back soon!

Anonymous said...

So, Katie, I was searching for recipes when lo and behold your blog came up: Cauliflower with Indian Spices. Fabulous.

Ellen Byron

Katie said...

Ellen - What are the odds? I forgot about that recipe - I should try it again.

Lisa @ Snappy Gourmet said...

I love sweet potato casseroles, but have never thought of putting coconut on it. Looks great!

ChickiePea said...

I just found your blog, but looks like you haven't been here for awhile :( Really love your recipes using alternative (gf) grains, and can't wait to try them! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Me dio grandes membrillos, y la receta que yo no soy feliz, me siento muy en juego! gracias de antemano
Abordo un buena receta que ya ocupó un sitio como este
recette couscous

Anonymous said...

Hi,
We would like to add your blog to the Top Food Blog list in www.mytaste.com You have a very fantastics recipes and it deserves to be included on the Top Food Blog list! We will feature your blog so that people and our 5 million users worldwide will see it on our site and we will make a lot of shout out about your recipes on our fanpages. If you would like to join, here is the link: http://www.mytaste.com/top-food-blogs

Regards,
Immanuel Kabuhung