Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Mexican red lentil and brown rice stew recipe

Mexican red lentil and brown rice stew, adapted from Kalyn's Kitchen
Before I get to this stew, you may have noticed a new navigation bar in the header.  I added a complete recipe index organized by category, which I'm hoping will help everyone (including me) find recipes, and also a list of my quick/easy and crock pot recipes.  I've intended to make these changes for a few months now, but I finally had time to sit down to do it (and it was a good distraction to keep me from thinking about the fact that my dissertation defense is in 10 days - yikes!).  Let me know if you have any suggestions for other ways to improve the navigation of my site (I'm open to anything!).

My Legume Love Affair
Now to the recipe!  First off, I'm naturally drawn to any recipe that includes turmeric.  Despite the fact that it has permanently dyed many of my kitchen utensils yellow, I can't get enough of it.  I've always had an unusual obsession with mustard, and I'm finally realizing that it's the turmeric that I love so much.  I also love red lentils, and they always seem to make meals amazing.  So, Kalyn had my attention as soon as she posted this recipe, and I'm sad that it took me so long to make it.  It turns out that I didn't have enough lentils, so I threw in some cooked brown rice and I loved the combination.  Next time I'm doubling the recipe so that I can stock my freezer (if I don't eat it all).  I'm submitting this to My Legume Love Affair, which is hosted by Manju at Mirch Masala this month, and is organized by Susan at The Well-Seasoned Cook.

Mexican red lentil and brown rice stew (adapted from Kalyn's Kitchen, who adapted it from Budget Bytes and Andrea Meyers)
(Printable version)

3/4 cup red lentils
3 1/2 cups water, divided
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
4 celery stalks, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 can (14 oz.) diced tomatoes
2 cups cooked brown rice
salt and pepper to taste
juice of 1 lime
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped

Combine lentils and 1 1/2 cups water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.  Then cover the pot, remove it from the heat, and let it sit for 20 minutes.  While lentils are sitting, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat, and saute onion and celery until tender.  Then add garlic and cook another minute.  Stir in turmeric, cumin, and chili powder and cook one more minute.  Add tomatoes, brown rice, remaining 2 cups water, and lentils, and stir well.  Bring this to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until lentils are tender (20-30 min), stirring occasionally.  Season with salt and pepper and add lime juice and cilantro.  Serves 4.

4 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

Love the new nav bar! I want to do that, but I'm so technology impaired I haven't dared try yet.

Isn't this recipe just the greatest? I just ate some from the freezer recently and enjoyed it just as much as the first time.

Anonymous said...

You and your lentils dishes!! This looks like another winner Yum.

Good luck with the defense. You will glide through it - afterall you are now the expert!!!

Tami said...

You've managed another one that is making me cancel all plans (but dinner tonight) in order to make. This shall be dinner tomorrow. :-)

Katie said...

Kalyn - It is definitely a fabulous recipe! Thanks!!

Cookbookcooks - Thanks! I'm looking forward to being done with it!

Tami - Can't wait to hear what you think!