Monday, February 2, 2009

Extremely easy vegetable dip

vegetable dip with yogurt, adapted from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything
I needed something to take to a Super Bowl party, and I immediately thought of veggies and dip. I could eat veggies all day, and it's always nice to have something a little big lighter to balance out all of the other food.

Vegetable Dip (adapted from "How to Cook Everything," by Mark Bittman)

1 cucumber, peeled and seeded
1 red bell pepper, stem and seeds removed
2 green onions
1 1/2 cups plain yogurt (sour cream would also work)
1 1/2 tsp dried dill
juice of 1/2 lemon
freshly ground black pepper

Finely chop the vegetables, and then add remaining ingredients. You might want to let the yogurt drain in a fine strainer for a few hours to make a thicker dip (my yogurt had separated, so I poured out most of the whey and the remaining yogurt was thick enough). Makes about 3 cups.

This was simple, but tasty, and it seemed to go over well with my friends. It's basically a permutation of tzatziki, which is one of my favorite sauces/dips. The best part? I used some of the leftovers for a salad dressing today. I love multi-purpose creations!

4 comments:

Abby said...

"I could eat veggies all day." Well, I can't say the same thing for myself, but along with this dip? I could try!

Katie said...

I'm glad you like the recipe! I forgot to mention that it gets even better after it sits in the refrigerator for a few hours. And it seems like it lasts a few days in the refrigerator without a problem.

Melpy said...

Looks like raita!

Katie said...

It's basically raita (without the Indian spices). It's funny how you can change a spice here and there and end up with a dish from a completely different part of the world...